Brownfield Building Redevelopment Program
Brownfield / Building Redevelopment Program
NYSEG and RG&E will provide assistance of up to $500,000 per project/unique phase of project for electric-related infrastructure improvements on either the company-owned or company-approved customer-owned equipment necessary for the redevelopment of a brownfield site or a vacant building.
This program includes brownfield sites and redevelopment of historic/legacy buildings, waterfront developments, etc. that result in totally dedicated facilities or mixed-use facilities, contingent upon qualified business sectors, load, usage or square footage being more than 50% of the project.
No minimum monthly demand threshold is required.
In addition, as part of the maximum contribution of up to $500,000, the company will provide up to $20,000 toward a feasibility study/assessment and/or remediation redevelopment efforts. The customer would have to invest at least 33.33% toward total investment.
- The funds may be utilized for up to 10% of the redevelopment costs.
- Funding cannot exceed the estimated cost of the electricity delivery-related infrastructure improvements.
- Project must hold the company harmless with regard to contaminant liability.
- Site/facility must be located within the company's service area.
- Recipient must be the owner or leaseholder of facility and must be current in payments to the company or have a deferred payment agreement in place and current (existing customers).
- Project must demonstrate the ability to retain and/or attract new employment.
- Applicant must demonstrate efforts to obtain state and/or local economic development incentives.
- Business use must be classified under the following general categories: agriculture*, forestry, fishing, mining, manufacturing, wholesale trade durable goods, wholesale trade non-durable goods, finance, insurance, real estate, business services, clean technologies, regional warehouses and distribution centers, colleges/universities, hospitals/health care facilities** and projects that are endorsed by one of Empire State Development’s (ESD) Regional Economic Development Councils and/or the Governor’s office.
- Applicant must demonstrate a viable reuse strategy for the site, facility or company operation based on the following factors:
- Physical condition of the building or site;
- Demonstrate potential for land acquisition and site control;
- Regional economic development impact;
- Efforts to qualify and obtain other federal, state, local, as well as private funding;
- Ability to market the site or building to attract economic investment
- Applicant must have the ability to sustain the reuse of site, facility or Company operation a minimum of five years.
*Agriculture includes the craft beverage industry for wineries, distilleries, micro-breweries, farm cideries, etc.
**Colleges/universities and health care facilities must demonstrate that project for economic development assistance goes beyond typical educational facilities/dormitories/traditional health care occupancy and promotes research and development and/or state-of-the-art technologies/best practices, centers of excellence, that foster regional economic development benefits.
Please contact a NYSEG/RG&E economic development representative to check on the availability of funding assistance under the economic development programs. Click here to email us.